Server Ranking List WIP

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Chris, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Chris

Chris Administrator
    Staff Member

Hey everyone, we've building a really great server listing interface for people to advertise their servers. The first component is a public list to help you find servers based on a ranking algorithm we made. It is still a work in progress and I will be adding more features over the next few days, including sorting, filtering, etc.

The server ranking list takes into account the following:
    1) Server uptime
    2) Average number of players online in the past hour.

From this information an algorithm then gives the server a score. Percentage of uptime + more average people online = better score. If a server is down for more than 5 polls in a row (servers are polled every 5 minutes) then it will no longer be polled for 24 hours and this will have negative impact on server scores. I will be tweaking the scoring algorithm and if you have any suggestions, feel free to let me know!

We want to make sure that players that use GravOnline.com can also submit their server with custom logos, descriptions, and more, so we will also be allowing players to manually post their servers with banners on a ranking list soon! Now that we've created a basic framework for this and integrated it into XenForo, I can now build the functionality for players to customize how their server appears on our list. You can also advertise your server here and we really encourage you to because this gives players a lot more detail:) We will be integrating it all over the coming week.

Thanks to Kane for helping with some early quick testing prior to this post!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    Kane Hart likes this.
  2. .ReFleX

.ReFleX Member

Nice, keep up the good work !

Chris and Kane Hart like this.
  3. jimbobslimbob

jimbobslimbob Member

Just a quick suggestion with this list - how about including server latency in the algorithm to calculate the ranking? I know this will be a little subjective, depending on the server location, but it could help indicate servers that are clearly overloaded?

4. Kane Hart

Kane Hart Administrator
    Staff Member

Not a bad idea but pretty crazy as well. We are working on a more personalized server list as well. Something you can add and list your own server. Might be a better feature for that then ping well over 500+ connections :)

We also gotta keep in mind of performance :)

jimbobslimbob likes this.
  5. Chris

Chris Administrator
    Staff Member

Thats a great idea. I thought maybe of adding a javascript function that just pings from client browser to the server to check for latency but the only problem with that is that javascript timers are known to be unreliable and incorrect, so with such a small timespam I'm not sure we would get correct results. Nonetheless I will explore this option and if not maybe we just show the ping from our server.

I'm going to be up all night trying to finish this so hopefully it is live in the next day or two. :)

jimbobslimbob likes this.