Patch 10 server admin notes

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Kane Hart, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Kane Hart

Kane Hart Administrator
    Staff Member

Some quick notes for server admins with respect to patch 10.

First: we've seen people who have modified their levelstreaming ini after getting patch 10. We do not recommend (or support) modifying this ini on your own, but I thought I'd warn people to back up their save data if you are running a server with 3 continents hacked in.

Second: If you want to host your own server that has exoplanets and moons you should launch the "home" process with a new parameter which tells the game what "metaverse" to be part of.

That new parameter is:

planetmanagername

Here is an example usage:
    CAGGameServer-Win32-Shipping cag_p?PlanetManagerName="FUNTOWN"?adminpassword=thisisnttherealpassword?steamsockets?Port=7777?PeerPort=7778?QueryPort=27015?MaxPlayers=32CloudDir="CloudAus01"?ServerName="My Cool home server" -seekfreeloadingserver

If a server has the planetmanagername parameter it will become the planet manager for that universe and automatically launch processes for exo planets and moons.

Servers that do NOT have planetmanagername= will assume they are slave to another master server and will not launch any processes (instead when users try to use stargates to other planets it will assume some other server has launched those planets)

Important note: if you want to have multiple metaverses on the same IP address you need to pass in PlanetPortOffset=50 to any additional instances you want to live on that same IP. Otherwise all machines on the same IP will share the exo planets and moons.

Also, maybe try -localaddress to the cmdline? (That will have the server use the local IP address and should work if your machine is firewalled off / can't be seen by the steam)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  2. Brood

Brood New Member

Oh now I see why my private SP server was not doing its job when I tried to go to the moon. Thanks a lot for the info, would have never been able to fix that one on my own!

3. saqwarrior

saqwarrior New Member

I have a problem with the moon/exoplanet feature where each of the new moon/exoplanet processes is launched with the command line option of "-multihome" configured for my WAN IP, even though I'm behind a NAT on a 192.168.x private network. Of course this will not work, because my computer is not configured for that IP. Because of this, these instances cannot bind to a port, and hence my star gates don't function.

Here's what it looks like in the console of the moon process:

[0001.09] Init: Command line: CAG_Moon_P?PlanetCDO="Moon1"??SteamDontAdvertise=1?adminpassword=password?steamsockets?Port=7500?PeerPort=7501?PlanetPortOffset=0?allowpvp=0?QueryPort=27300?MaxPlayers=32?CloudDir="Cloud_FEDVERSE_Moon1"?ServerName="[FED] Fart Parade - Moon1" -multihome=67.164.111.221 -seekfreeloadingserver -unattended
    [0001.14] Log: RedirectNetDriver failed to listen: WinSock: binding to port 7500 failed (10049)

Why is the main process launching these moon/exoplanet processes with a multihome option? Is there a setting somewhere to override this? I've tried explicitly stating the multihome for the main server process and that didn't help.

4. Brood

Brood New Member

Please add to the OP that you need to use -localaddress to be able to connect to moons and exos if you're having the problem saqwarrior described.

5. elcid

elcid New Member

It seems I'm doing something wrong there.

I started my own server (just for my single player needs^^), added the planetmanagername thingy into the batch file and started it. After I started GRAV and logged in to my server, I found that the whole world had changed (my building was suspended in air, I died several times since there was water everywhere now where there was solid ground before) and the server opened a "moon-server" window, just like after entering a stargate. After I reached the shore I wanted to check on the "moon-server" window and found around 10 of these windows open. It seems the server was permanently thinking I had passed a stargate to a moon.

Thats my batchfile:

CAGGameServer-Win32-Shipping cag_p?PlanetManagerName="Manager"?adminpassword=1234?steamsockets?Port=7785?PeerPort=7786?QueryPort=27019?MaxPlayers=4?allowpvp=0?ServerName="ServerName" -seekfreeloadingserver

I'm new to this commandline stuff and was glad I could figure out how to run my own SP-server^^ But now I'm a bit lost on what to do...

6. Brood

Brood New Member

Yes, one of the changes in V10 is that the server automatically launches its "child" servers now instead of waiting until someone uses a stargate to load them. I don't know if this can be avoided. Other than that, I don't know why your terrain changed, mine remains the same.

7. saqwarrior

saqwarrior New Member

So while that -localaddress option fixed what IP/interface the moons/exoplanet processes bound to, the only person able to travel to it is me -- on the same computer as the server processes. So I can load in, but anyone else on my server gets the "white screen" that eventually goes back to the server list.

To eliminate any possible network configuration issues I tested all this with my system in my network DMZ, so there was no firewall function active whatsoever. Not my router, not Windows, etc.

Any ideas?

8. Sawine

Sawine New Member

Ok...

So I used this:
    cag_p?steamsockets?Port=7785?PeerPort=7786?QueryPort=27019?MaxPlayers=64?ServerName="[EximiusGaming] PvP [Exp 5x - Harvest Speed 1.5x - Ressource 2x] - 1 Gbps "?CloudDir="Cloud"?PlanetManagerName="Cloud"?allowpvp=1 -seekfreeloadingserver -localaddress

And my server spawned 5 consoles instead of 1 lol. http://puu.sh/fTBHD/ca3341fa41.png

Still got the white screen while trying to go to the moon altough :(

9. elcid

elcid New Member

Same for me, but at least I know what the 5 consoles are for:
    your home planet, the moon, 3 sub planets called ExoPlanet_High1, ExoPlanet_Low1 and ExoPlanetMid1

I deleted all the cloud folders in the games folder and tried a completely new planet, cheated a bit to get those BPs and resources, built the moon star gate, entered it and got the white screen with the materials list. So it seems the planet "server" doesn't assign my avatar to the moon.

10. dave

dave New Member

Anyone have a step by step guide that works for fixing the star gate issue. Everyone gets the white screen when trying to use them on my server. its been a issue since patch 9 and i was hoping it would be fixed in patch 10. 4 weeks and still waiting for a fix

11. <THC> osterhagen

<THC> osterhagen New Member

still sounds like network related issues, u forward ports 7500-7506(or whatever u set them) ?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  12. dave

dave New Member

the support on this game is poor. I have lost so many players from my server due to this issue. I am not great on computers oster its why i was asking for a step by step explanation

13. saqwarrior

saqwarrior New Member

Dave, try to keep in mind that this is an early access alpha, and is being developed by a team of only six people. Given that information, I'd say they're doing a good job.

Hopefully they'll get a chance to respond to some of our issues after the holiday weekend.

14. Jack Russell

Jack Russell New Member

I am currenty renting a server from bluefangsolutions. Is fixing the moons and exo planets somthing I can fix on my own. Or is this somthing I have to have them set up?myself and some freind have been having a blast and would love to keep our character will fixing this cause a character wipe ??

15. saqwarrior

saqwarrior New Member

I replied to you in the other thread here.